WebLogo

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tzouhalem Spinners & Weavers Guild

I've had some great opportunities to meet local creative types here on the island since I moved here, and I've been looking forward to attending a meeting of the Tzouhalem Spinners and Weavers Guild in Duncan, just north of Cowichan Bay.  Today I got my chance, and I can say that I definitely plan to join up and go again soon.  Today's meeting included a presentation by Natalie Bannister, an English teacher who spent 2 years in Bhutan.  She brought with her a stunning array of woven fabrics, belts, and even a basket that she referred to as "Bhutanese Tupperware."


The most fun part of the afternoon was watching Natalie encase a volunteer in full Bhutanese dress so we could see how it was done. All of the fabrics were stunning and I loved hearing the weavers discuss technique.  I had no idea what they were talking about, but they were clearly impressed.


And the finished product:


All of the members extended a warm welcome to me, and I even got to see Megan Goodacre's latest sweater, Cultivar in person because her mom was there wearing it!  It's a beautiful cardigan with some surprising and lovely details.  

Have you had any exciting guests come through your local fiber guild?  What stunning things have they brought along?


I want to remind you all too that my Eple Knit Along is still going!  It's on until December 31 and if you participate you could win a free pattern and a skein of Hazel Knits Artisan Sock!  See the Ravelry forum for more details.

Eple Socks




No comments:

Post a Comment

RavelryGrayscaleButton2 InstagramGrayscaleButton2 TwitterGrayscaleButton2 PinterestGrayscaleButton2 FacebookGrayscaleButton2 MailGrayscaleButton2
 ©  2007-2012 Andrea